Tuesday, April 17, 2012
April 17, 2012
AWARDS DINNER GOES TONIGHT
Congratulations to all those who will be receiving recognition at tonight’s 29th Annual Volunteer Awards at the Winnipeg Convention Centre!
Everyone who volunteers their time, whether it is for a charity, an organization they are passionate about or to help/ mentor youth with extra-curricular or academic activities should be celebrated. Your contributions help make your community stronger.
Winnipeg Harvest nominated six of tonight’s successful recipients. Congratulations to…
· Ron O'Donovan and Eunice O'Donovan (posthumously) of Winnipeg, winners of the Manitoba Lotteries Family Volunteer Award
· City TV of Winnipeg, winner of the Golden Hand Award
· David Courchene of Turtle Lake, winner of Volunteer Manitoba’s Outstanding Community Leadership Award
· David Proctor of Winnipeg, winner of the Lieutenant Governor’s ‘Make a Difference Community Award’.
· Ursula Taylor, of Swan River winner (individual) of the Premier’s Volunteer Service Award
· Broadway Neighbourhood Centre of Winnipeg, winner (Community Group) of the Premier’s Volunteer Service Award.
· Jamie Sotlar, volunteer Winnipeg harvest, Safeway Ability Award
· Tech Voc High School (Linking Individuals to New Knowledge) Mayor’s Volunteer Service Award, Effective Use of Youth
DONATIONS STILL NEEDED
And Winnipeg Harvest is still in need of donations.
We are still in urgent need of high protein non-perishable nutritional food items. We remain down from our normal levels at this time of year. The shelves that store our Top 10 food items need filling (see below).
Each week, we distribute food to 5500 households. Please add food for a hungry family to your family’s grocery list.
NON-PERISHABLE FOOD ITEMS NEEDED
· Canned Fish and Poultry (tuna or salmon -packed in water) chicken or turkey
· Canned Fruit & Vegetables (packed in own juice)
· Canned Stew, Chili, Brown Beans
· Peanut Butter
· Whole Grain Pasta/Whole Wheat Pasta
· Rice (brown, converted or parboiled)
· Canned Spaghetti Sauce or Tomatoes
· Cereal (high fiber, non-sugar coated)
· Canned Soup (lentil, pea, vegetable)
Drop off locations: Winnipeg Harvest and your retail food store. Canada Safeway and Peak of the Market will match the donations in weight, pound for pound.
Monetary donations are also accepted. For every $1 we receive, we can distribute $20 worth of groceries. Call 982-3581 today to make a monetary donation!